Career development through personal and professional experience in the field of applied physics and related technologies
Andre E. Lalonde AMS Laboratory – Technician September ’14 – Present
- Testing, modelling, and development of a mass spectrometry (ICPMS and AMS) technique for the early detection of osteoporosis using Calcium-41 as a biological marker.
- Monitoring the west coast of Canada for radionuclides produced during the Fukushima incident using ICPMS and High Resolution Gamma Spectroscopy.
Conference and Association Work September ’13 – Present
Speaker, contributor, and organizer of various Canadian and international conferences.
- Accelerator Mass Spectrometry 14 – Organizer
- Canadian Association of Physicists 2016 – Speaker
- Accelerator Mass Spectrometry 13 – Speaker
- Canadian Association of Physicists 2014 – Speaker
Cancer Centre of Southeastern Ontario – Thesis Student September ’11 – April 2012
Tested and developed a new technique for in vivo radiation dosimetery. This thesis provided experience in experiment development, data acquisition and analysis.
St. Lawrence River Institute – Lab Technician Co-op September ’06 – February 2007
Assisted with both lab and field projects including the collection and analysis of marine life, plant life and water samples. Experience in various lab and collection techniques was obtained through these experiments.
City of Cornwall – Lifeguard/Supervisor/Instructor June ‘06 – August 2012
Responsibilities as supervisor include pool maintenance and staff training and assessment
MacDonald, C. M., Cornett, R. J., Charles, C. R. J., Zhao, X. L., & Kieser, W. E. (2016). Measurement of the Cs 135 half-life with accelerator mass spectrometry and inductively coupled plasma mass spectrometry. Physical Review C, 93(1), 014310.
MacDonald, C. M., Charles, C. R. J., Zhao, X. L., Kieser, W. E., Cornett, R. J., & Litherland, A. E. (2015). Determination of 135 Cs by accelerator mass spectrometry. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 361, 554-558.
MacDonald, C., Charles, C. R. J., Cornett, R. J., Zhao, X. L., Kieser, W. E., & Litherland, A. E. (2015). Detection of 135Cs by accelerator mass spectrometry. Rapid Communications in Mass Spectrometry, 29(1), 115-118.
Zhao, X. L., Charles, C. R. J., Cornett, R. J., Kieser, W. E., MacDonald, C., Kazi, Z., & St-Jean, N. (2016). An exploratory study of recycled sputtering and CsF 2− current enhancement for AMS. Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section B: Beam Interactions with Materials and Atoms, 366, 96-103.
University of Ottawa – MSc in Physics September ’13 – August 2014
- Course Work: Computational Physics, Medical Radiation Physics, Environmental Isotope Analysis
- Developed methods for the measurement of Cs-135 by Accelerator Mass Spectrometry
- AMS Target Source Chemistry, Isobar reaction separation, Radioisotope production.
- Attended physics conferences and seminars
- Gained experience in computational, radiation and experimental physics, as well as applications of electrodynamics.
Queen’s University – BSc in Physics with Honours September ’08 – June 2012
- Instructed in Computational and Mathematical Physics
- Topics include: Dynamics, Thermodynamics, Quantum Mechanics, Astrophysics and Experimental Physics.
- Maintained the Muriel G. Billes scholarship through continued volunteer community involvement and academic achievement.
Cornwall Collegiate and Vocational School September ’06 – June 2008
- Graduated with Honours
- Recipient of both the “Muriel G. Billes” and the “Dr. Arthur and Anna Batista – Knights of Columbus” Scholarships for Merit
- Experience with the following computer programs
- Wolfram Mathematica, Origin, Excel, LabView, SOLIDWORKS
- Experience with the following programming/markup languages
- Additional certifications
- WHMIS certified
- Standard First Aid
- CPR level C
- Radiation Safety
Science-On-Tap Speaker 2015
Speaker at the Science-On-Tap interactive speakers’ series. Gave an overview of isotope science and current research to the public in Cornwall, ON.
TD Great Canadian Shoreline Cleanup Site Coordinator 2005 – 2008
Organized a team of 50 people who volunteered their time to clean up the shoreline and surrounding area of the St. Lawrence River.
Cornwall Aquatic Centre Aqua Buddy 2003 – 2007
Assisted physically and mentally challenged children during their swimming lessons helping them to earn their swimming certificates.
TD Friends of the Environment Foundation Board Member 2010 – 2011
Review and vote on the acceptance of grant requests concerning various environmentally conscious programs.
Charity Concert Performer 2009 – 2012
Performed at locations on Queen’s University campus raising money to support philanthropic efforts to various countries in need such as Ghana and El Salvador.